Transient/Vacation Rentals in Ojai
At the January 26, 2016 City Council meeting the Council voted to adopt resolution number 16-07 confirming the existing ban on transient rentals in all zones. Enforcement measures will be phased in with warnings being issued for the first four months.
Short-Term Rental Enforcement Updates
- Short-Term Rental August Update
- Short-Term Rental July Update
- Short-Term Rental June Update
- Short-Term Rental May Update
- Short-Term Rental April Update
- Short-term Rental February Update
History of Transient/Vacation Rentals in Ojai
- May 24, 2016 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- January 26, 2016 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- January 12, 2016 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- December 8, 2015 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- November 10, 2015 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- Steve Alexander Final Report, August 20, 2015
- July 2, 2015 Workshop Agenda
- Transient Rental Workshop Administrative Report
- June 24, 2015 Legal Analysis by Matt Summers
- June 24, 2015 Planning & Economic Considerations by Lisa Wise
- Transient Rentals in Ojai FAQ
Transient/Vacation Rentals in Other Communities:
- Short- Term Rentals and L.A.’s Lost Housing
- City & County of San Francisco Board of Supervisors: Analysis of the Impact of Short-term Rentals on Housing
- Airbnb, Rising Rent, and the Housing Crisis in Los Angeles, Roy Samaan
- Laguna Beach Latest to Freeze Airbnb, Other Short-term Rentals, Eric Zassenhaus
- Santa Monica Takes First Step to Rein in Short-term Rentals, Tim Logan
- Santa Monica Passes Tough Restrictions on Vacation Rentals, Paige Austin
- Manhattan Beach, Targeting Airbnb, Officially Bans Short Term Rentals, Caroline Anderson
Important Information as of January 26, 2016
- Transient rentals, vacation rentals, and short term rentals are all the same thing. It is the rental of a space for 30 days or less. This includes entire homes and a portion of a home.
- Vacation rentals are not legal in residential zones.
- Vacation rentals are not legal in village mixed use.
- The moratorium on Conditional Use Permits for transient rentals in residential zones is still in effect. There is not currently a method to register a Transient/Vacation Rental.
- Effective January 30, 2016, the City’s moratorium on enforcement of transient/vacation rentals will be lifted. The City Council directed staff to phase in enforcement measures with warnings being issued for the first four months.