Transient/Vacation Rentals in Ojai
At the January 26, 2016 City Council meeting the Council voted to adopt the resolution confirming the existing ban on transient rentals in all zones. Enforcement measures will be phased in with warnings being issued for the first four months.
History of Transient/Vacation Rentals in Ojai
- May 24, 2016 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- January 26, 2016 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- January 12, 2016 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- December 8, 2015 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- November 10, 2015 City Council Meeting Administrative Report and Documents
- Steve Alexander Final Report, August 20, 2015
- July 2, 2015 Workshop Agenda
- Transient Rental Workshop Administrative Report
- June 24, 2015 Legal Analysis by Matt Summers
- June 24, 2015 Planning & Economic Considerations by Lisa Wise
- Transient Rentals in Ojai FAQ
Transient/Vacation Rentals in Other Communities:
- Short- Term Rentals and L.A.’s Lost Housing
- City & County of San Francisco Board of Supervisors: Analysis of the Impact of Short-term Rentals on Housing
- Airbnb, Rising Rent, and the Housing Crisis in Los Angeles, Roy Samaan
- Laguna Beach Latest to Freeze Airbnb, Other Short-term Rentals, Eric Zassenhaus
- Santa Monica Takes First Step to Rein in Short-term Rentals, Tim Logan
- Santa Monica Passes Tough Restrictions on Vacation Rentals, Paige Austin
- Manhattan Beach, Targeting Airbnb, Officially Bans Short Term Rentals, Caroline Anderson
Important Information as of January 26, 2016
- Transient rentals, vacation rentals, and short term rentals are all the same thing. It is the rental of a space for 30 days or less. This includes entire homes and a portion of a home.
- Vacation rentals are not legal in residential zones.
- Vacation rentals are not legal in village mixed use.
- The moratorium on Conditional Use Permits for transient rentals in residential zones is still in effect. There is not currently a method to register a Transient/Vacation Rental.
- Effective January 30, 2016, the City’s moratorium on enforcement of transient/vacation rentals will be lifted. The City Council directed staff to phase in enforcement measures with warnings being issued for the first four months.