Cell Towers/Telecommunication Facilities
Applications received by the City related to this topic are searchable via the alert in the upper-right corner of this page.
City Received Inquiry about Cell Tower Installation – No Application at this Time
A wireless representative with Smart Link recently reached out to Community Development staff inquiring about the standards and process to potentially locate a rooftop telecommunications facility at 202 West Ojai Avenue (AT&T building). No application has been submitted, however a photometric simulation was included which is viewable here. Any further questions regarding this matter should be directed to the Community Development Manager at 805.646.5581 or via email at Seibert@ojaicity.org
City of Ojai Municipal Code on Cell Towers/Telecommunication Facilities and related City Council Actions:
The Ojai Municipal Code section dealing with telecommunications facilities (Section 10-2.1712) was originally adopted in 2004. Recent actions taken by the Ojai City Council are listed below, followed by earlier actions. The Council’s most recent action was in 2019:
2019: At its Regular Meetings on March 12 and March 26, 2019, the Ojai City Council discussed protocols for small cell wireless communication equipment applications . At the March 26, 2019 meeting the Council voted to adopt a resolution establishing such protocols.
- For City Council Resolution No. 19-06, adopted on March 26, 2019 and setting the City’s policies regarding certain “small cell” cell tower communication equipment, click here.
- For the Agenda packet of the March 12, 2019 Regular Meeting, click here.
- For the Agenda packet of the March 26, 2019 Regular Meeting, click here.
- For minutes of the March 12, 2019 Regular Meeting, click here.
- For minutes of the March 26, 2019 Regular Meeting, click here.
To watch video of the same meetings:
- For video of the March 12, 2019 Regular Meeting, click here.
- For video of the March 26, 2019 Regular Meeting, click here.
- Versions of these videos with clickable shortcuts to each agenda item can be found here and here.
2015: At its Regular Meeting on March 24, 2015, the Ojai City Council adopted procedures for public notice of applications related to Cell Towers/Telecommunication Facilities. At its Regular Meeting on March 10, 2015 the Ojai City Council adopted Ordinance No. 851, making modifications to the City’s telecommunication facility standards.
- To read Ordinance No. 851 adopted on March 10, 2015, making modifications to the City’s telecommunication facility standards, click here.
- To read Resolution 15-13 adopted on March 26, 2015, adopting procedures for public notice of applications related to Cell Towers/Telecommunication Facilities, click here.
Earlier 2015 Actions:
February 24, 2015: City Council Hearing
- PC Recommended Telecommunications Ordinance
- Supplemental Telecommunications Ordinance Memo
- Watch meeting Video of this item
February 9, 2015: Adjourned Planning Commission Meeting
- Memo – telecommunications adjournment Meeting
- Attachment A – Red-line Version
- Attachment B – Proposed ordinance
- Attachment C – Zoning Map
- Watch Meeting Video
February 4, 2015: Planning Commission Hearing
- Item 5 – Wireless Telecommunication Facilities Administrative Report
- Watch Meeting Video of this item
January 20, 2015: City Council/Planning Commission Workshop
- Administrative Report
- Background and Summary (Attachment A)
- DRAFT Ordinance (Attachment B)
- League of California FCC Wireless Siting Information
- Shameless Plug for the League (Information Only)
- Ojai Telecommunication Workshop Power Point
- Watch Meeting Video
Earlier Council Actions:
On April 8, 2014 the City Council adopted an urgency ordinance establishing a 45 day moratorium on new telecommunications pending development of new local regulations. The moratorium was extended on May 13, 2014 and was set to expire on April 7, 2015.
December 9, 2014: Meeting with Industry Representatives
Notice of Cell Tower Application
None at this time.